2006-03-07

Do you know who I am?

There can't be many levels of embarassment and self-pity below where I sank yesterday.

I went to renew my 10 year passport at the Post Office; they do this "check and send" service, where you get the application form checked for you and a guaranteed two-week turn around. I got myself some nice new pictures taken and queued like a good man. I stepped up to the counter and presented my documents; one valid passport as ID, one application form and one set of new pictures. Whilst the counter staff are whizzing away on my application I switch-off.

BEFORE
"Excuse me, but you haven't had these counter-signed", says the man. He's referring to the new photos of my, which don't need to be counter-signed for a renewal if the existing passport is valid still. "But I don't need to because this is a renewal", I reply. "That's true, but not if your appearance has altered significantly from 10 years ago."

"What do you mean?", I ask. "Well you've put on a bit of weight and I don't believe that you bear any resemblance to the passport photo." Oh, excellent. In public I have been told that I'm fat and that my passport application won't be processed. I calmed myself slightly and responded with, "I don't have them counter-signed and I want to apply. And anyway, how come no one in the US, Canada, New Zealand, China and most of Europe hasn't said this to me as I cross their borders?"

AFTER
Anyway, to cut a long story short, he agrees to put the application through, but says it may be returned, I may lose my application fee and he can't guarantee the two-week turn around. Basically all the reasons I used the Post Office have gone, but I'm there, need the passport for work and so I go through with it. Watch this space. I can't believe anyone would think a bit of fat changed your appearance.

6 comments:

fatrobot said...

did he mention that you are now a black man?

Johnny M said...

I must admit that he didn't notice this. Just the fat!

lofty said...

you should have used your extra weight to get some purchase behind the flying fist of jabba that you put through his heed!

peaky said...

I can sign them for you but only for 2 more weeks

Johnny M said...

That'd be useful, but I won't get the application back for two weeks to know if I need you.

peaky said...

well you have until the 31st of March an then am jobless an no longer deemed fit to sign peoples shit